"The West Bloomfield Township Treasurer's office provides quality customer service with a highly dedicated and trained team. It is our goal to serve our residents in a fair, efficient, conscientious and respectful manner. Please contact me if I can be of assistance." - Teri Weingarden, MiCPT
About the Treasurer's Office
Thank you for visiting our web site. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the many services provided through the Treasurer's Office. I would like your experience with this office to be a pleasant one, and I will be happy to assist you in any way I can.
The Township Treasurer collects and distributes your property taxes for the following entities:
- State of Michigan
- Oakland Community College
- Oakland Schools
- School Districts of West Bloomfield, Walled Lake, Farmington, Birmingham, Pontiac, Waterford and Bloomfield Hills
- County of Oakland
- West Bloomfield Township General Fund, Police, Fire, Library, Parks & Recreation, Bonds, Millages, Special Assessment Districts and Water & Sewer
TREASURER Statutory Duties
- Collects real and personal property taxes
- Keeps an account of township receipts and expenditures
- Issues township checks
- Deposits township revenues in approved depositories
- Invests township funds in approved investment vehicles
- Collects delinquent personal property tax
- Responsible for jeopardy assessments in collecting property tax
- Collects mobile home specific tax (not applicable in West Bloomfield)
- Must appoint a deputy
- Must post a surety bond (MMRMA)
Additional West Bloomfield Treasurer Responsibilities
- Serves on the township board of trustees
- Responsible for all transfer of funds within the township: via ACH or Fed Wire
- Manages investment of funds in government pools
- Researches and purchases all bank certificates of deposit including CDARS
- Manages bank depository relationships and monitors financial health (due diligence)
- Administrator for MagicWrighter payment system, personally assists residents with setting up online payments
- Administrator for access to all Comerica programs and data in the township
- Secures Standard and Poor’s rating for township AA+
- Assists in the creation and implementation of an annual budget
- Overseas bond payments and paying agent fees
- Manages cellular tower contracts and ensures accurate lease payments
- Manages and bills all Special Assessment Districts (including filing/releasing liens)
- Refunds closed Special Assessment Districts that meet state refund guidelines
- Tracks and maintains all Letters of Credit and Surety Bonds
- Sells dog licenses for Oakland County Animal Control
- Transfers all funds for payroll and benefits for all township employees (including police/fire)
- Pays State and federal payroll tax and completes monthly state tax reporting
- Handles stale checks and stop payments requests
- Overseas all investments, monetary transfers and signs checks for Parks and Recreation
- Responsible for all receipt of funds for General fund, Water Sewer, and Public Safety
- Representative of the township on the Lake Board
- Overseas township credit card usage and reporting
- Collects non cash payments from residents at the Treasurer counter
- Represents the township at community events, Police and Fire ceremonies, chamber of commerce events/ribbon cuttings, etc.
- Actively promotes and supports recycling efforts through collection, volunteering at the household hazardous waste days, and recycling events.
About Your Treasurer, Teri Weingarden
I earned a Master of Industrial Relations (MAIR) degree from Wayne State University and dual bachelor degrees from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) in Organizational Psychology and International Relations.
It continues to be my honor to serve the residents of West Bloomfield Township as Treasurer since November, 2008.
My professional experience includes: Pricing Coordinator, in the Finance department, of Unisys EAD (Europe Africa Division) in London, England, North American Knowledge Manager for all Automotive and Industrial Equipment clients for Accenture (formerly known as Andersen Consulting), Change Management consulting services on behalf of Accenture for the big three and tier one suppliers and Customer Service consultant for EDS on the GM account.
I am involved in a variety of local organizations including but not limited to: West Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce Senior Resource Group Communication Lead, Women’s Interfaith Solutions for Dialogue and Outreach in MetroDetroit Board Member, Interfaith Leadership Council, Relay for Life, Hadassah and Adopt a Road.
I grew up in West Bloomfield and attended West Bloomfield schools K-12. My husband, Howard, and I are raising two daughters enrolled and graduated from the West Bloomfield School District. We also host an exchange student attending West Bloomfield High School.